This is an extraordinary white bread recipe with outstanding results. While it’s easy and forgiving, making it suitable for beginners, experienced bakers will recognise and appreciate the Artisan bread characteristics.
- 5 cups all-purpose white flour (800g)
- 2 tablespoons yeast (or 2 x 7g packets)
- 2 teaspoons sugar 15g
- 1 teaspoon salt 8g
- 2 cups warm-hot water (500g)
- 0.25 cup cooking oil (40g)
- Put 4 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into large bowl.
- Pour in hot water and oil and mix until combined* it will be sticky.
- Add the remaining flour in increments until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is elastic and smooth.
- Place dough back into bowl and cover with a damp teatowel and let it rise until double its size* about 1/2 hour.
- Punch it down and divide dough into two pieces.
- Roll pieces long enough to fill two well oiled loaf pans and leave to rise until dough has reached the rim of the pan.
- Bake at 200C for 40 minutes.
- Rub hot breads with water and wrap in a teatowel to ‘sweat’ to soften the crust